Ankle Sprains Klemzig, 5087
What can Cause an Ankle Sprain?
- Did you misjudge a step whilst walking or running and go over your ankle?
- Was it landing on another person’s foot in basketball, netball, football or soccer?
- Did you hear a popping or cracking sound?
- Is the ankle all stiff now from all the swelling and bruising and there is discomfort when you stand or walk?
As mentioned above, it is caused usually by a runner or walker misjudging a step, or landing on an uneven surface. In sport, it is from changing direction or landing on another competitor’s foot.
Initially, you may have trouble walking or standing and require strapping, crutches or a walking boot. In more severe cases there may be a fracture. Unfortunately, when you sprain your ankle, it can increase the chance of restraining by 40 – 70%. You may also develop persistent ankle pain and stiffness. This is a condition called Sinus Tarsi Syndrome.
We have a 5 Phase Rehabilitation Program:
- Reduce Pain and Control Swelling. This is done via RICER
- Restore Range of Motion
- Stretching regime of exercises
- Regain Muscle Strength
- Strengthening regime of Calf, Ankle, and Foot
- Correct Foot Posture
- Ankle sprains can be caused by a foot that ‘rolls out’. The Sinus Tarsi Syndrome Condition can be caused by a foot that ‘rolls in’
- Restore Agility, Speed, Power and Proprioception
- Exercises to restore your sports specific movements
Manage your Ankle Sprain with SA Running Injury Clinic
You can book an appointment at SA Running Injury Clinic Online or over the phone. Please note we have two clinics.
Call SA Running Injury Clinic, North Adelaide : 8239 1022
Call SA Running Injury Clinic, Eastwood : 8357 0700