Knee Pain & Runner’s Knee Pain Treatment Walkerville
Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome or Chondromalacia Patella
- Are your knees sore when you run or play sport?
- Do you dread stairs because your knees hurt going up and down them?
- Does it even ache by simply sitting with your knees bent?
‘Runner’s Knee’ or medically called Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome or Chondromalacia Patella is the number 1 most common injury we see at SA Running Injury Clinic.
It is inflammation caused by mistracking of the knee cap. This mistracking lead to an irritation against the underlying thigh and shin bone.
Causes of Runner's Knee Pain
This mistracking and subsequent inflammation to the underlying structures is caused by:
- Weak inner thigh, hip and gluteal (buttock) muscles
- Tight outer thigh, hamstring and calf muscles
- Feet rolls in/flat feet (pronation)
- Previous lower back or pelvic injury
- Poor running footwear choices
- Poor running technique
- Excessive hill/stair use
How to Effectively Treat Runner's Knee?
Runner's Knee can be a serious problem and can put you months behind in your training. It’s a nasty condition and one that needs to be treated fast once it presents or ideally prevented in the first place. Our patients report they are running for a few kilometers or hit a half time in their sports game and slowly pain at the front of the knee builds up and they can’t keep going anymore. It will be a major issue and will ruin your sporting plan’s if you don’t act early.
At SA Running Injury Clinic we have a 7 part program:
- Stretching / Massage / Dry Needling regime for those tight muscles
- Strengthening Program for those weak muscles
- Assess previous lower back / pelvic injury
- Address any poor foot biomechanics (walking, running) patterns with custom orthotics
- Advise of specific sneaker models appropriate to your specific foot profile
- Gait Retraining and Improvement of your Running Technique
- Modify Your Running/Training Program
Manage your Knee Pain with SA Running Injury Clinic
You can book an appointment at SA Running Injury Clinic Online or over the phone. Please note we have two clinics.
Call SA Running Injury Clinic, North Adelaide : 8239 1022
Call SA Running Injury Clinic, Eastwood : 8357 0700