Shin Splints Adelaide
Treatment for Shin Pain (Medial Tibial Stress Syndrome) in Eastwood & North Adelaide
What causes Shin Splints?
- Do you experience a sharp pain on the inside of the shin?
- Does it worsen during and/or after a run or sport?
- Ache the following morning or when you cool down?
- Is it tender to touch at the site of the inside shin?
At the SA Running Injury Clinic Shin Pain is in the top 5 most common injuries we see. It is most common in runners and footballers.
Current research indicates it is caused by the pulling of the muscles along their attachment to the shin bone causing inflammation at the junction of the muscle and bone.
This inflammation is caused by:
- Poor foot posture – excessive pronation (rolling in) causes more pulling of the muscles against the shin, while excessive supination (rigid foot type) causes more force on the shin bone itself
- Running – on hard surfaces (asphalt roads) or pre-season on hardened grounds
- Sudden increase in intensity or duration of runs after not doing much training
How to treat Shin Splints?
Shin pain can be a serious problem for you and can put you months behind in your training. It’s a nasty condition and one that needs to be treated fast once it presents or ideally prevented in the first place.
Often our patients report they are running for a few kilometers or hit half time and they can’t keep going anymore. It is a major issue and will ruin your training plans if you don’t act early.
SA Running Injury Clinic treat shin splints at our two Adelaide Clinics- North Adelaide and Eastwood. Our patients come from the surrounding area including Walkerville, Parkside, Norwood, Glenside and Toorak Gardens.
At SA Running Injury Clinic we have a 7 Part Program to reduce your Shin Pain:
- Advise of sneaker models appropriate to your specific foot profile
- Address poor foot bio mechanics/walking/running pattern with custom orthotics
- Ice/Stretching/Massage/Dry Needling Regimes
- Extracorporeal Shockwave Therapy
- Shin Pain Specific Strapping
- Gait Retraining and Improvement of Running Technique
- Modify Your Running/Training Program
Manage your Shin Splints with SA Running Injury Clinic
You can book an appointment at SA Running Injury Clinic Online or over the phone. Please note we have two clinics.
Call SA Running Injury Clinic, North Adelaide : 8239 1022
Call SA Running Injury Clinic, Eastwood : 8357 0700